- About Us
- Introduction to Touhou
- The Instructions Page
- Official Games
- Official Print Works
- Official Soundtracks
- Boho Youyoumu
- Bullet Report
- Castle Maze
- Cirno Climbers
- Cirno Smash Climbers
- Endless Alice Crysis
- Endless Marisa
- Gensokyo no Nazo
- Han Tamashii Takeshi Geichou
- I wanna be the shrine maiden
- I wanna be the shrine maiden 2
- Katsugeki Kidan 3
- Super Marisa World
- The Legend of Scarlet Devil Castle: Scarlet Symphony
- The Legend of Scarlet Devil Castle II: Stranger's Requiem
- Maid Made Maze
- Mystical Chain
- New Super Marisa Land
- Quartet X
- Remifura Spirits
- Rift in a Friendship
- Rush the Hina
- Sakuya's Counterattack
- Sanae & Momie with Ibara Kasen
- Sanae Challenge! ~ Fusion
- Takkoman ~Kouzatsu World~
- Touhou Koukayaku - The Game
- Touhou Torappu No Sekai
- Touhou Warriors of Friendship
- Touhou Warriors of Friendship 2
- Unbelieved Heroes
- 2.5/3D Action/Platforming >
- 2.5/3D Fighting >
- 2D Shooting (Danmakufu) >
- 2D Shooting (Others) >
- 2.5/3D Shooting >
RPG, SRPG & RTS
- Age of Ethanols
- Blizzard of Faith & Revenge
- Fantasy Maiden Wars (Series)
- Fantasy Maiden Wars Mystic
- Fantasy Maiden Wars Eternal
- Gensokyo Tower Defense
- Genius of Sappheiros
- Gensou Maroku ~The Devil of Decline~
- Labyrinth of Touhou
- Labyrinth of Touhou 2
- Nightmare of Sleeping Girl
- PatchCon: Defend the Library!
- Scarlet Devil Mansion Defense
- Sengoku Gensokyo
- Tempest of Heaven and Earth: Suppression by Celestial
- Touhou Defense of the Shrines
- Touhou Diablo: Treasure Hunter G
- Touhou Diablo 2
- Touhou Mother
- Youkai Tan Q Roku
- Puzzle & Logic >
- Visual Novels >
- Party >
- Sports >
- Card >
- Rhythm >
- Sandbox >
- 2D Action/Platforming >
- Spinoff Dev Trackers
- Spinoff Doujin & Manga
Spinoff & Remix Music
- Touhou StepMania Simfiles
- Videos & Utilities
- Other Cool Games
- Game Ratings
PatchCon: Defend the Library!
Type: Realtime Strategy
Year of Release: 2007
Version: Single Release
Publisher: Tasogare Frontier
Playable Characters: 32
(Colored by type; see "RPS Information," below.)
Meiling, Sakuya, Patchouli, Flandre
Cirno, Alice, Marisa, Reimu, Suika
Chen, Ran, Youmu, Yuyuko, Yukari
Tewi, Reisen, Eirin, Kaguya, Mokou
Medicine, Yuka, Aya, Komachi, Shikeiki
Minoriko, Hina, Nitori, Sanae, Kanako
Special Extras (2)
(Available only in Free Select Mode)
The three unit affinities work like a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors, and knowing which unit type is better than another can help you make decisions as to which units to buy when you're playing on a difficulty that gives you info as to which enemies are next, so you can attack or defend better:
* Melee is strong against Danmaku
* Danmaku is strong against Flying
* Flying is strong against Melee
You'll have 5 spellcards that you can use a single time each if you really get in a pinch that grant temporary bonuses; use them depending on exactly what kind of pinch you're in. From left to right:
* Fire: Damages all enemies in an amount equal to half their max HP (also damages offscreen enemies).
* Water: Respawn rate of dead units is increased tenfold.
* Wind: Increases all animation speeds for your units (movement and attack speeds).
* Metal: The bookshelf becomes temporarily invulnerable: enemies cannot steal books.
* Earth: Your units gain temporary invulnerability; nothing can harm them.
When computer-controlled, Marisas don't bother with attacks: instead, they go straight for the bookshelf (this applies to all difficulties, so be careful when you're up against a large wave of Marisas!)
Once you meat the games as all teams and earn Free Select, you also unlock the special Extra modes:
*100k Mode. Start with 100,000 coins.
*Swarm Mode. Waves contain even more enemies.
*Thief Mode. None of the enemies bother attacking: like Marisas, they will now all rush for the bookshelf.
*Dual Mode. Waves will now consist of a mix of 2 different characters.
*Surround Mode.Each wave will now come from absolutely everywhere instead of having one particular offscreen area where they spawn from.
*Boss Rush Mode. "Regular" waves will now consist of 3 normal-level boss characters, and "boss" waves will now consist of one giant boss.
*Tower Defense Mode. Your units spawwn on top of platforms with no way down; enemies will rush for the bookshelves.
*Endless Mode. Even after the clock reaches midnight, the waves will just keep coming.
* Please note that this game ONLY runs in an unchangeable 1024x768 resolution; if your monitor's resolution is smaller, there is absolutely no way to change the game's resolution to fit; even attempting to fullscreen it or force 640x480 through compatibility options does not work.
Plot Point: Patchouli is sick and tired of Marisa stealing books from the library (tell me something I don't know), so she decides to strengthen its defenses by creating magical dolls to guard the books. Unfortunately, Marisa stole the book Patchy wrote on how to make the dolls, so everyone else knows how to make them too. Patchy's only hope is to create as many dolls as she can to defend her last stronghold that is the library.
How It Works: You start with some gold to purchase your initial supply of units, which spawn at start point(s); each unit is unique, is one of three types (melee, danmaku, or flying), and has special abilities. You have as much time as you like to determine starting units and positions before starting. To begin, hit the large [Start] button in the lower-right to start the clock and the battling. As each wave of enemy units attacks, you can either let your units' proximity reactions go, or you can tell individuals or highlight groups of units and command them to go on the offensive. Defeating enemy units awards you more gold to make more units so you can handle larger and more powerful enemy groups, whereas if you neglect your duties, the enemies will make it to the bookshelves you're defending - if they steal all the books, it's game over. When the clock in the upper-right hits midnight, you get a wave of boss-type Marisas as the final wave. If you manage to fend that off without losing all your books, you win!
Character Info: At first, you only start with Patchy's own EoSD team, but beating the game as each new team unlocks the next on the list; if you beat the game as all six normal teams, you unlock the 2 special characters and the ability to create a custom team with any characters you want using Free Select Mode.
Difficulty Info: The game comes with 4 difficulty settings (Easy, Normal, Hard, and Lunatic). The difficulty you choose determines the following things:
* Total time. Easier settings are shorter and less involved; higher difficulties last much longer (the clock moves much slower), forcing more strategy on your part as to who to upgrade or purchase more units for.
* Time and warnings between waves. Easier settings provide more time between waves, and provide more info as to what they consist of (Easy tells you everything, including exact character, type, and where they're coming from; upping your difficulty tells you less and less until you get to Lunatic, which tells you absolutely nothing).
* Wave strength. Easy is very forgiving; upping your difficulty means stronger waves appear sooner and more frequently.
* Accessibility of the bookshelf to enemies. Easy puts tons of obstacles in the way, Lunatic hardly gives the enemies anything to walk around at all.